Chinese Crispy Beef
Homemade Chinese Crispy Beef. Easty to do and delicious with steamed rice.
- Approx 230g beef fillet
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 tbs cornflour
- 2 tsp 5 spice powder
- Oil for deep frying
- For the sauce:
- 1 Carrot, peeled and cut into very thin batons
- A bunch of spring onions, finely shredded
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1" piece of ginger, grated
- 2 Red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 tbs Caster sugar
- 3 tbs Rice vinegar
- 1-2 tbs Light soy sauce (see note below)
- Cornflour paste (1 tbs cornflour, mixed with 2 tbs cold water)
- Cut the beef into very thin long strips and dust with a little cornflour.
- Make up the batter by placing cornflour in a medium bowl with the salt and five spice powder, make a well in the centre and add the beaten eggs. Mix well to form a smooth, lump free batter than mix in the beef strips and stir well to coat beef.
- Get your oil nice and hot to 190 whilst preparing ingredients for sauce.
- Using tongs, pick up strips of the beef from the bowl and drop individually into the hot oil, cook in batches for approx 4-5 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm whilst making the sauce.
- TIP: You can prepare the beef in advance and keep refrigerated until required, then warm though in the sauce when ready.
- In a wok or saute pan heat 1 tbs of vegetable (or groundnut) oil. Add carrot and stir fry for a couple of minutes. Then add the spring onions, garlic, ginger and chillies. Stir fry again for a couple of minutes and add the rest of the ingredients.Once the sauce is quite thick, quickly add the beef and stir well to coat in the sauce. Serve immediately.
- Note: Some soy sauces are a lot darker than others, add 1 tbs initially and add a second if necessary after adding the cornflour mixture. The sauce should have an orange hue to it (see photo)
Serving Size: 4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 35 minutes