Chinese Hot & Sour Soup
Hot and sour soup, homemade is better than the take-out, healthier and cheaper too.
- 1 tbs chilli/garlic sauce (I use Lee Kum Klee brand)
- 1" piece ginger, peeled & grated
- 1.5 pint veg stock
- 1 tbs chinese white wine
- 2 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 2 spring onions
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp cornflour mix with a little water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100g tofu (chopped into 1/2cm cubes)
- 1 carrot (peeled and chopped into 1/2cm cubes)
- Heat a little peanut oil in a saucepan and add the chilli/garlic paste and the ginger. Stir fry for 1 minute then add the stock, wine, vingegar, sugar, salt & pepper (to taste), spring onions, sesame oil and carrots. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Add the cornflour paste and stir until slightly thickened.
- Pour the beaten egg into a bottle with a pouring nozzle. Drizzle into the soup in thin strands until there is no egg mixture left. Alternatively, pour into soup over a fork very slowly to drizzle in to form thin strands.
- Now add the tofu and simmer for 1 minute. Serve immediately.
Serving Size: 2-3
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes