Daeji Galbi (Korean Pork BBQ)
Daeji galbi, or daeji kalbi, is the pork version of Korean BBQ short ribs, or kalbi
. This pork rib dish is probably not as popular but just as good. Try eating this sangchu ssam
style, with lettuce.
- 5 lb pork back rib
- 1 tbsp fermented soybean paste (deonjang)
- 1 med onion
- 12-14 cloves of garlic
- 3 slices of ginger
- 1 small pear (Korean pear or Anjou pear)
- ½ red delicious apple
- 5-6 dried red chili peppers
- 5 tbsp red wine
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp soju (rice wine)
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 5 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp hot pepper paste (gochujang)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Separate ribs, one by one by cutting between the ribs. Put the rib pieces in a bowl of cold water and soak for ½ hour or longer to get the blood out.
- Get a steamer pot and pour inside: 5-6 cups of water, 1 tbsp deonjang (soybean paste), sliced garlic pieces (5-6), and ½ of the sliced onion. Put a steamer tray inside the pot and place the ribs on top. Cover and bring the liquid to a boil. Steam on medium heat for about 15 minutes. Let it cool, then remove the ribs and discard the water.
- Now for the marinade: get a food processor ready and put in roughly chopped pear, apple, the other half of the onion, ginger, 7-8 garlic pieces, dried chili peppers, soy sauce, red wine, soju (rice wine); blend until it becomes smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan. Add the salt and brown sugar, bringing it to a boil, stirring constantly. Turn the heat off, then add honey, gochujang (red pepper paste) and olive oil and stir well. Let it cool down for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix this paste and spread it over the ribs. Marinate it for at least 1 hour (several hours is better) in the refrigerator. Tip: If you put the ribs in a large zip lock bag, you can pour the marinade on top and coat the ribs by massaging around the ribs inside the bag.
- You can grill these or broil in the oven. I typically broil in the oven because I don't like cleaning the grill. Preheat the oven on the broil setting, and arrange the ribs on a tray in one layer. Broil about 5 minutes on each side, until brown. Then cover the tray tightly with aluminum foil and lower the heat to 350F, bake for about 15 minutes. Serve hot.
Serving Size: 6-8
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 45 minutes