Dak Yukgaejang (Spicy Chicken Soup with Sprouts)
This is a recipe for Dak Yukgaejang, a typical spicy Korean soup with beef strips and bean sprouts. In this recipe, I use chicken instead of beef -- the idea is to flavor the meat, then let the flavors of the meat ooze into the soup. For a simpler version of this dish, try this recipe for dak yukgaejang
, which uses fewer ingredients.
- 1 cup of cooked fernbrake / bracken fiddleheads (gosari 고사리) -- this usually comes dried
- 4-5 chicken drumsticks (1½ lb), or chicken breast
- 4 1/2 cups of water
- 1 cup (8 oz) bean sprouts (soy bean sprouts -- kongnamul or mung bean sprouts)
- 1 bunch of green onion
- 2 tbsp hot pepper powder (gochugaru 고추가루)
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tbsp light Korean soy sauce (guk ganjang 국간장)
- 1 tsp sesame oil (chamgirum 참기름)
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cube chicken boullion (optional)
- dash black pepper
- Clean dry fernbrake (gosari) and soak it in a bucket of warm water for an hour or so or overnight if you are not in a hurry.
- Discard the dark soaking water and rinse the fernbrake well. Put it in a large pot, put enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for an additional 15-20 min -- when it gets tender (test by squeezing with your fingers - not mushy though), drain and wash several times until you get clear water. Gosari have a chewy sort of texture so don't overboil.
- Cut gosari into about 4" length, so it won’t be too long. Drain and set aside.
- Peel the skin of chicken drumsticks and put in a pot with 4 1/2 cups of water. Bring it to a boil and cook for about 20 min or until the meat gets tender.
- Remove chicken (keep the stock). Let the chicken cool then using your hands, remove the meat from the bone into small strips into a bowl.
- Flavor the chicken: add 2 tbsp of hot pepper powder, garlic, sesame oil, and soy sauce mixing well. Set aside.
- Wash the green onions and bean sprouts. Cut into about 4" length and set aside.
- Put chicken stock back on the stove, add 2 tsp of salt, dash black pepper and bring it to boil.
- Add all of the vegetables except the green onions and bring to a boil. Cook for additional 4-7 minutes, then add the chicken pieces. Cover and cook additional 5 minutes, taste, and adjust salt. You can add chicken boullion for additional taste.
Serving Size: 5-6
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 50 minutes