Deluxe Ssamjang (Deluxe Ssam Wrapping Paste)
Ssamjang is a spicy paste used when eating ssam 쌈, or lettuce wraps (hence the name). This version of ssamjang is a bit more complicated, which is why I call it "deluxe." Put a small amount of ssamjang in your lettuce wrap, add a bit of galbi, then add some rice and eat!
- 3 oz diced beef
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 oz chopped onion
- 1 tbsp of crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped green onions
- 3 oz diced clam
- 1 tbsp anchovy powder (myulchi garu 멸치 가루)
- 1.2 oz diced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tbsp chopped pine nut
- 1/3 cup of fermented bean paste (doenjang 된장)
- 1 tbsp hot pepper flakes (gochugaru 고추가루)
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp ground sesame seed (kaesogum 깨소금)
- 1 tbsp water
- Heat a sauce pan. Brown beef with sesame oil, add chopped onion, crushed garlic, chopped green onion - cook until onion is tender. Add diced clams, anchovy powder (myulchi garu 멸치 가루), mushrooms, pine nuts, and cook for 5-6 mins.
- Add fermented soybean paste (doenjang 된장), red pepper flakes (gochugaru 고추가루), rice wine, black pepper, ground sesame seed (kaesogum 깨소금), water and mix well - cook for additional 3-5 min. Serve warm or cold.
Serving Size: 8
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes