Domi Jjim (Steamed Red Snapper)
Domi jjim is a simple and delicious steamed red snapper dish that is often served for parties and other special occasions. I actually steam and fry my snapper. The presentation of this dish is made more elegant with the vegetables and eggs layered on top.
- 1 red snapper (domi), about 1½ to 2 lbs
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp clear cooking wine (jongchong)
- 1/3 lb ground beef (lean)
- 2-3 fresh or dried (soaked) shiitake mushrooms (pyogo busuht 표고버섯)
- 2-3 fresh or dried (soaked) black mushrooms (seoki busuht 석이버섯)
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 5 tbsp water
- 1 stalk of green onion, minced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 small bunch of Korean watercress, also called water dropwort (minari 미나리)
- 1 red & green bell pepper
- 1/2 medium sized carrot
- 1 tsp dried threaded red pepper cut long (shilgochu 실고추)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame powder
- Clean the snapper inside and out. Make 3-4 deep slits about 1" apart on both sides of fish. Sprinkle lightly with salt (about 1 tsp each side), pepper and cooking wine – put it aside.
- Put the beef in a mixing bowl. Chop the mushrooms into small pieces and add to the beef. Also add 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp cooking wine, garlic, chopped green onion and a dash black pepper; mix well and set aside.
- Dry the excess moisture off the snapper with a paper towel, then stuff the beef mixture into the slits of the fish, including the head area.
- In a large pot, put 2-3 cups of water, and place a steamer tray inside. Bring the water to a boil.
- Lay a cloth flat on the counter, then place the fish on top. Gather two of the diagonal corners of the fish and then place it on top of the steamer. Close the lid and steam it for about 15 min.
- While the fish is steaming, make sauce for jorim using: 5 tbsp soy sauce, 5 tbsp water, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tsp sugar. Mix well, then microwave the mixture for 1 minute. Set it aside.
- Now to make the vegetable toppings: cut the leaves off of the watercress/dropwort and briefly blanch. Squeeze out the excess water, and cut into about 2-3" lengths. Sprinkle a dash of salt and sesame oil. Julienne carrot and sprinkle with a dash of salt. Do the same with the bell peppers. After 15-20 minutes, squeeze out the excess water out of all of the vegetables using the paper towel, and lightly fry on a slightly greased frying pan for ~ 30 seconds to a minute.
- Heat a frying pan and grease lightly with olive oil. Remove the snapper from the steamer and place on the frying pan. Spoon over the jorim sauce. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side with a little sesame oil, until the sauce is almost gone.
- Remove carefully and place on a large plate; layer on all of the vegetable trimmings in separate sections; arrange it in a way to show off all the different colors vividly. Garnish with sesame powder. When you are serving, cut off part of the scored fish pieces, then add trimmings proportionally for each serving.
Serving Size: 2-3
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes