Dubu Buchim (Fried Tofu)
Dubu Buchim is one type of Korean side dish that involves tofu and a soy-sauce based seasoning. It can be prepared in several ways, including cooking the tofu in the sauce, or frying the tofu, then serving the sauce on the side to dip. Try it both ways and see what you like better. It's important to use firm tofu in this dish.
- Box of firm tofu (dubu 두부) 12 oz
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil and sesame oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- Sauce ingredients:
- l/2 tbsp sugar
- l/2 tbsp hot pepper flakes (gochugaru 고추가루)
- 1 tbsp chopped green onion
- 1 tsp sesame seed
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Cut tofu into flat squares about 1"x2" length and l/2" l/4" thick.
- Sprinkle with dash of salt, and let sit for l/2 hour or so.
- Pat the tofu slices dry with a paper towel, removing the excess water.
- Heat oil on a frying pan, and fry tofu pieces until it gets lightly brown, turn it over and do the same on the other side. Should take 4-5 min each side on a medium heat.
- Mix all of the ingredients together for the sauce. Serve freshly cooked with the dipping sauce.
- Alternatively, you can add the sauce to the top of the tofu for 1 minute before removing from heat, then serve.
Serving Size: 4-6
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes