Gochujang Bokkeum (Seasoned Hot Pepper Paste)
What exactly does one do with this seasoned hot pepper paste (gochujang)? Since Koreans like spicy foods, this can be used for a number of different things, as a little side dish to mix with rice, or as part of a boxed lunch set (doshirak 도시락).
- 7 oz beef (less than 7% fat), minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup hot pepper paste (gochujang 고추장)
- 4 tbsp corn syrup (mulyeot 물엿)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp roasted sesame seeds
- Heat a sauce pan with olive oil, and brown beef, stirring constantly.
- Add garlic, sugar, soy sauce, gochujang, and cook for 5-10 min stirring. As a last step add corn syrup, sesame oil, and roasted sesame seeds and cook 2-3 min longer.
- You can use this as quick bibimbap sauce or eat alone with some rice.
Serving Size: 5-6
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes