Gwari Myulchi Bokkeum (Dried Anchovies & Peppers)
꽈리 고추 멸치 볶음
This version of myulchi bokkeum (dried anchovy stir fry) includes Korean curly peppers (gwari gochu), which brings color to the dish and also makes it more nutritious. You can have this dish as a small side dish (banchan 반찬) to eat alongside rice.
- 1 pkg (about 1/2-1 lb) fresh curly pepper (gwari gochu)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup small dry anchovy (myulchi 멸치)
- 8-10 peeled whole garlic
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 4 tbsp rice wine (mirin)
- 2 tbsp corn syrup (mulyeot 물엿)
- 2 tsp roasted whole sesame seed (tongkae 통깨)
- ½ tsp salt
- Using a fork, punch holes 2-3 times on the body of the curly pepper.
- Bring a frying pan to medium heat, then add oil and dried anchovies. Stir around until it gets lightly brown. Set aside.
- Boil about 3-4 cups of water and add ½ tsp of salt and bring to a rapid boil. Dunk in the curly peppers, stir around for about 30-40 seconds. Drain the peppers and let them cool a little bit.
- Slice the garlic cloves into largeish pieces - 2-3 pieces per clove.
- In a small cup, mix soy sauce, 2 tbsp water, mirin and corn syrup (mulyeot 물엿).
- In a wok-like pan, add more oil and fry the garlic slices for a few minutes. Add the soy sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Then add the curly peppers and stir around; when about the ½ of the sauce gets absorbed by the curly peppers, add the dried anchovy (myulchi 멸치) and keep frying. Stir until most of the sauce disappears, about 7-8 min. Garnish with roasted whole sesame seed (tongkae 통깨).
Serving Size: 5-7
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 25 minutes