Haemul Pajeon (Seafood Pancake)
- 2 1/4 cups flour (all purpose)
- ½ cup of sweet rice flour
- 2 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1 jar oysters (6 oz)
- 1 cup chopped scallops
- 1 cup shrimp, cut small (fresh or frozen)
- 3 bunches green onions
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2-4 large jalapeno pepper (optional, depending on how spicy you want)
- ½ cup of olive oil (or any vegetable oil) to fry the pancakes
- You can also substitute or add other seafood like chopped baby octopus, chopped clams or chopped mussels
- In a large bowl mix the flour, sweet rice flour and water. Crack 2 eggs and stir well, making into a smooth batter. Add all the chopped sea foods and mix well.
- Slice the green onions into halves (or quarter them if the green onions have large heads). Cut the strips lengthwise into 2-3" long segments. Set aside.
- Slice the jalapeno (optional) lengthwise, remove seeds and chop. Add to the batter.
- Prepare your fry-station by pouring oil into a small bowl with a spoon for easy access near your frying pan. Heat a large frying pan with a spoonfuls of oil. If you are using a standalone electric fryer (Korean style!) set it to 350 degrees.
- Just before you start frying, add the cut green onions into the batter and mix.
- Now it's time for the taste test: fry one small pancake and taste it for seasoning. Add more salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar if necessary.
- After the flavor has been adjusted, begin frying again. Make sure you're comfortable as this can take quite a while. Add 1-2 tbsp of oil to the pan. Scoop a small amount of batter on the heated skillet and spread until roughly flat and round. Cook for 2-3 minutes on one side or until the bottom is lightly brown. Flip it over and cook the other side, pressing down firmly with a spatula to make the surface contact the skillet. Use one or two tbsp of oil, and heat the frying pan each time before putting a new batter. Wipe the skillet with paper towel if the bottom gets too sticky and repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Slice the pancakes into 6-8 square pieces or alternatively, cut into slices, like you would a pie. Haemul pajeon is best served right off the pan.
Serving Size: 10
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 1 hours, 0 minutes