Hobak Buchim (Fried Zucchini)
호박 부침 / 애호박 부침
Hobak buchim is an easy buchim (fried dish) of fresh zucchini. You can serve this as a banchan (side dish) or an appetizer. It's tasty and simple.
- 1 med size tender korean zucchini (hobak 호박) (about 1 lb)
- 5-6 tbsp of flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- pinch black pepper
- 1 large zippered plastic bag
- 1/2 cup of olive oil (any vegetable oil)
- Wash zucchini (hobak) and slice into small discs, about 1/4" thick.
- Put flour in a ziploc bag and add salt and pepper; close and shake around to mix well. Add sliced zucchini into this bag and shake well; you can do a little by little or half of the slices at a time.
- Add 3-4 tbsps of oil to a large non-stick frying pan and put on medium heat.
- In a bowl, whip two 2 eggs and add a pinch salt (1/4 tsp). Take out the flour-dusted zucchini pieces and dip into the egg mixture; lightly coat the mixture and put it on the frying pan. Fry until the edges turn lightly brown (2-3 min) and turn it over. Fry for another 2-3 minutes. Add more oil as you fry new batches of zucchini.
- Serve with dipping sauce or can eat without it. Dipping sauce can be simple soy sauce and balsamic vinegar (rice vinegar) mixed half and half; add pinch sesame oil and sesame seed and gochugaru (Korean red pepper powder) if you wish.
Serving Size: 2-4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes