Japanese style Sardine Pasta
Only $1 can sardines can transform into an authentic Japanese cuisine.
- 1/2 pound spaghetti
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red-pepper flakes
- 5-7 mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 can sardines in olive oil, undrained
- 1 Tbs reserved olive oil from the can
- 1 Tbs Sake or white wine
- 2 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 scallion, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup seaweed, cut into fine pieces (option)
- 1. Bring a pot of water to boil; add a generaous amout of salt. Cook pasta until al dente according to package instruction.
- 2. Meanwhile heat 1 Tbs olive oil, garlic and red-pepper flakes in a large skillet over low until garlic is fragrant but not turning brown. Add onions and mushrooms, stir. Then add sardines and reserved olive oil, turning once until browned on both sides but not mashing if possible. Sprinkle 1 Tbs sake or white wine, evaporated. Then take sardines out from the skillet.
- 3. Add al dente pasta into skillet and toss to combine; season salt and pepper.
- 4. To serve, divide among shallow bowls and sardines over noodles. Garnish with scallion.
Serving Size: 2
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes