Kimchi Jjigae (Kimchi Stew)
Kimchi jjigae is a stew-like preparation of kimchi. It's a good way to get rid of the old, ripe kimchi that is no longer good to eat plain. Kimchi jjigae is a very homestyle food, and everyone has their own recipe. Here's mine...
- 16 oz pork belly (or any pork that has some fat), cut into small flat pieces
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2-3 cups cut bite size of ripe kimchi
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp of dried anchovy powder(myulchi garu 멸치 가루)
- l/2 pack medium-firm tofu (dubu 두부)
- 1 tbsp hot pepper powder (gochugaru 고추가루)
- 2 green onion stalks, bias sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a pot on the stove (3-4 qt), turn the heat on high.
- Add pork belly and garlic and saute for a couple of minutes. Stir in cut kimchi and anchovy powder and cook until meat and kimchi become tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the water and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tofu, hot pepper powder (gochugaru 고추가루) and green onion and bring again to a boil -- simmer for 2-3 min. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
Serving Size: 3-4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes