Kimchi Mandu (Kimchi Dumplings)
Mandu are Korean dumplings that can be stuffed with a variety of things. In this version, I use kimchi and tofu (dubu 두부). Once you make, freeze the leftovers and you can fry them up, steam them, add them to duk mandu guk.
- 1 cup of diced pork sirloin
- l/2 cup of diced beef
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- l/3 cup of finely diced onion
- 1 tsp salt & dash black pepper
- 3 cups of chopped, ripe baechu kimchi (배추 김치))
- ½ pkg tofu (dubu 두부)
- 1-2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 pkg of dumpling skins (50 pieces)
- Ingredients for the sauce:
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ tbsp vinegar (distilled white, rice vinegar, or balsamic vinegar)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 stalk of green onion, diced
- l/2 tsp red pepper flakes (gochugaru 고추가루)
- l/2 tsp sugar (optional)
- Mix the raw pork and beef and add the minced garlic, onion and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Squeeze out the excess water from the tofu using a cheesecloth. Separately, do the same with the kimchi.
- Mix the kimchi, meat mixture and strained tofu together in a bowl and add 1 tsp salt. Microwave a small amount of this mixture and taste -- add more salt if necessary.
- Prepare your mandu-making area -- spread the flour over a large platter for the wrapped mandu. Put the egg whites in a bowl for sealing the mandu with (you can also use water). Also put your dumpling wrappers and a spoon or two nearby.
- Spread 1-2 spoonfuls of the mixture into each dumpling skin and seal the edges using either water or egg white. Dust lightly with flour and place on the platter.
- You can fry, steam or cook these dumplings in boiling water. To fry, add canola oil to a pan and heat on high. When the oil is hot, add a layer of the dumplings to the pan. When the pan-side of the dumplings are brown, add some water to the pan and cover (get the lid ready and cover quickly) and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Add more oil to the pan, flip the dumplings over on the non-browned side, and cook until brown.
- For kimchi mandu, since the stuffing is salty, you don't need to use dipping sauce, but I have included the ingredients above. Combine all ingredients and enjoy!
Serving Size: 5-6
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 45 minutes