Mul Kimchi (Water Kimchi)
Mul kimchi is a refreshing, slightly spicy kimchi immersed in water. It's nice to drink the broth, or to use the broth as a kind of cold soup base.
- 1 large napa cabbages (baechu 배추) approximately 1 l/2 - 2 lbs
- 1 Korean radish (moo 무), about 1 lb - 1 1/2
- 1 carrot
- 1 small bunch of Korean watercress (minari 미나리)
- 2 stalks of green onion
- 1 red fresh hot pepper or threaded dried hot pepper (shilgochu 실고추)
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 small yellow onion
- 8 tsp of sweet rice flour (chapssalgaru 찹쌀가루)
- 1 3/4 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tsp of sugar
- 8 cups of water
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- Slice the cabbage head in half, and separate all the leaves and wash. Slice into bite size pieces, approximately 1 l/2 x 1". Peel radish (moo 무) and cut into thin bite size slices as well.
- Slice the rest of the vegetables -- cut carrots into small thin oblong discs and threaded red pepper into thin long pieces, matchstick style. Slice the yellow onion thinly and cut lengthwise. Slice the green onion with a bias cut. Cut the watercress (minari 미나리) stems into about 1/2" lengthwise and discard most leaves.
- In a large bowl, put all of the cut vegetables and sprinkle lightly with salt with a shaker, tossing around the vegetables. Let sit for 15-20 min or so.
- Make sweet rice flour broth (pulmul 풀물) by boiling 8 cups of water and adding 8 tsp of sweet rice flour (or regular flour if you don't have any). Stir rapidly with an egg beater. Bring it to a boil then turn the heat off and cool the pulmul. Set it aside.
- Get a glass jar or large container ready (at least 1 gallon). Add all of the salted cut vegetables, green onion, garlic and ginger. Put 2 tbsp of coarse salt into the sweet rice flour broth and pour it into the jar -- it will fill the 1 gallon jar.
- Keep the jar in a cool place like the garage or outdoors (not the refrigerator) for 2-3 days. Taste; if all is good, then store in the refrigerator. Mul kimchi is refreshing and is often eaten in the summer, like a cold soup. When serving, you can add pine nuts for garnish.
Serving Size: 30
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 45 minutes