Pad See Ew
Enjoy this popular Thai dish, Pad See Ew; flat rice noodles sauteed in sweet soy sauce with Chinese broccoli. Did you know that Pad See Ew is reflective of Chinese influence on Thai cuisine?
- 8 ounces of flat rice noodles
- 1/2 of a chicken breast, sliced thinly (against the grain)
- 2 cups Chinese broccoli, chopped into two-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons sweet dark soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 teaspoons thin soy sauce
- 2-3 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- In a small bowl, create the pad see ew sauce by combining the oyster sauce, thin soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, and garlic. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, blanch the chicken slices until cooked. Do not over cook.
- Prepare the flat rice noodles according to the package. You can avoid this step if you find fresh noodles. If you are using dried rice noodles, soak the noodles in hot tap water until softened.
- Heat a wok on high heat with vegetable oil.
- Add the rice noodles and 2 tablespoons sweet dark soy sauce and stir fry until the noodles start to soften for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the pad see ew sauce that was prepared earlier. Saute the noodles until there is not much liquid left in the wok. Let the noodles sit for a minute or so to get a nice char on them.
- Toss in the Chinese broccoli and cook until wilted. You want to constantly stir the noodle mixture in the pot to avoid burning the noodles. Cook until the noodles are completely cooked.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Serving Size: 2
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes