Plain Congee Recipe - Thai Jok
Jok (also spelled chok) is a popular dish in Thailand. It is served morning, noon and night. This hearty dish can be served on its own or as an accompaniment to other tasty dishes. In the US, jok was breakfast for my two daughters while they were growing up.
- 1 cup long grain white rice (preferably jasmine rice)
- 9 cups water
- 2 tablespoons of kosher salt
- Chopped cilantro and scallions for garnish
- In a large stockpot, bring the water, rice and salt to a boil and stir. Boil for 5 minutes and reduce the heat down to low and simmer, covered loosely with the pot cover.
- Simmer the rice porridge for about 1.5 hours until consistency of oatmeal,stirring frequently during last 1/2 hour of cooking.
- Serve the congee hot in bowls. Condiments can be added or the congee can be served plain, for a comforting, simple meal.
Serving Size: 4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 1 hours, 30 minutes