Poached Eggs with Tamarind Sauce
One of my favorite things to eat is son-in-law eggs. Unfortunately, I don't always have the time or the patience to boil eggs and then deep fry them. To satisfy my craving, I quickly poach my eggs and add tamarind sauce
. This recipe for poached eggs with tamarind sauce is suitable for brunch or a quick weeknight meal.
- 1 tablespoon red hot chili flakes
- 1/2 cup tamarind paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 tablespoons palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fried shallots
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 4 eggs
- In a small sauce pan, bring the chili flakes, tamarind paste, water, palm sugar and fish sauce to a boil for 3 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Once the mixture has cooled, remove any tamarind seeds or fibers in the sauce pan. Set aside.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl. Be careful not to split the egg
- Fill a saucepan full of water - you want there to be about 3-4 inches of water. Add 1 tablespoon rice vinegar. When the water is almost to a boil and is simmering, add the egg gently into the water bath. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Cook the egg until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, 3 to 5 minutes. Do not stir. Lift egg from water with slotted spoon. Drain in the egg on paper towels. At this point, you may want to trim any rough edges, if desired.
- Place eggs onto a small plate. Dress the eggs with the tamarind sauce by sprinkling it on top of the eggs. Garnish with the cilantro and fried shallots. You can serve this with a side of rice.
Serving Size: 2
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes