Michelin-starred Chef Atul Kochhar
shares his recipe for this classic Kashmiri lamb curry, Rogan Josh.
- 1 kg leg of lamb
- 150 grams yogurt
- ½ gram saffron
- 30 grams crushed almonds
- 100ml oil
- 350 grams onions
- 50 grams ginger-garlic paste
- 10 grams red chili powder
- 10 grams coriander powder
- 3 grams garam masala
- 5 grams turmeric powder
- 60 grams tomato paste
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- 10 grams ginger
- Ingredients for Whole Garam Masala:
- 1½ tsp cumin
- 6 green cardamom
- 2 black cardamom
- 1" cinnamon stick
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 star anise
- 2 blades of mace
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Prep: Leg of lamb - Trim & remove the bones and cut into 1 inch cubes. Whisk the yogurt, add almonds, saffron, salt & half the ginger garlic paste & keep in marinade for 2 hours.
- Pound the whole spices in a mortar & pestle.
- Peel & slice the onions thin.
- Wash & finely chop the coriander leaves, wash & scrape the ginger and cut into julienne.
- Cooking: Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan, add the pounded spices, and stir till spices start to crackle.
- Add the sliced onions, stir & cook till golden brown.
- Add the lamb with the marinade, stir & cook till meat is browned & 3/4 cooked.
- Add the dry spices & cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste & stir till lamb is cooked.
- Note: When the lamb is added, lamb will shed the excess of moisture & will cook in its own stock, if there isn't much liquid in the pan, some water or lamb stock can be added. Once the meat is browned, it will tend to get stuck at the bottom, one has to keep stirring with the scraping at the bottom, which is important for the characteristic development of the flavors.
- Presentation:Serve it in bowl, garnished with coriander & ginger julienne. Rogan Josh can be served with saffron rice or an Indian bread.
Serving Size: 4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes