Sengsun Maeuntang (Spicy Fish Stew)
- 1 1/2 lb – 2 lbs fresh striped bass (substitute: yellow croaker, cod or tilapia)
- l/2 lb live clams
- 4-6 medium sized shrimp, deveined
- 1/2 medium sized Korean radish (moo 무)
- 1/2 medium sized yellow onion
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 pkg enoki mushrooms
- 2-3 napa cabbage leaves (baechu 배추)
- 1 zucchini
- 1 package medium firm tofu (dubu 두부)
- 2-3 stalks green onion
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp of red pepper powder (gochugaru 고추가루)
- 1 tbsp of red pepper paste (gochujang 고추장)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- l/2 minced ginger
- 1 tbsp of dried anchovy powder (myulchi powder 멸치)
- 2 tbsp of clear soy sauce (gook ganjang 국간장) - or regular soy sauce if you don't have clear soy sauce
- 1 -2 tsp of sea salt to taste
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into slivers for garnish (optional)
- Wash the fish and cut into 5-6 large chunks. Sprinkle liberally with salt and put it in the refrigerator. (It will make fish meat firm and not break easily when it’s cooked – sprinkling vinegar will do the same thing). Soak the clams in salted cold water for 15-20 min and clean them.
- Wash and chop all the vegetables: cut the Korean radish (moo 무) into squares approx. 1"x2" size, slice the celery stalks into small pieces, chop the onion, cut the napa cabbage into roughly the same size as the radish, cut off the stems from enoki mushrooms, and cut green onions into pieces about 2–3" long. Mince the garlic and ginger. Slice the tofu into half and then into thin squares.
- Put 4 cups of water into a pot (2 qt), add 1 tbsp of hot pepper, hot pepper paste, the cut radish, chopped yellow onion, garlic, ginger, anchovy powder, soy sauce and sea salt. Bring to a boil for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the boiled broth into a 4 qt casserole pan (or a regular pot) and add the fish, zucchini, celery and tofu and boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Finally, add the shrimp, clams and mushrooms, arranging nicely. Add the cut green onions on top. Bring to another boil and when all the clams open, turn the heat low. Add more salt to taste. Throw in the sliced red bell peppers and cover. Serve hot.
Serving Size: 4-5
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 40 minutes