Slow Cooker Coconut Curried Chicken
An exciting dish with vibrant colors and spicy flavors, this coconut curried chicken is ready in half the time of conventional slow cooker dishes. Redolent with the flavors of fresh ginger and lemongrass, the aromas emanating from the slow cooker permeate the house. Serve with Jasmine rice and Naan.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 bone-in, chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 can unsweetened lite coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons Thai green curry paste
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, outer leaves stripped and lower section cut into 3-4-inch pieces, split and slightly crushed, or the grated zest of 1 large lemon
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1-2 dried hot peppers, or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (add, mixed with cold water at the end of the cooking time)
- In saucepan, brown chicken thighs in 1 tablespoon oil.
- Remove from heat, set aside.
- In same pan, add coconut milk and Thai green curry paste; stir until incorporated. Set aside
- In slow cooker, layer onions, garlic, red bell pepper, lemongrass, ginger, hot pepper flakes and salt.
- Place chicken thighs atop vegetable mixture
- Pour coconut milk/green curry paste over chicken and vegetable mixture.
- Cook three hours on low in slow cooker
- At end of cooking time, add peas, cook 10-15 minutes. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook additional 10-15 minutes
Serving Size: 4-6
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 3 hours, 0 minutes