Sogogi Jeongol (Korean Beef Casserole)
A savory beef and vegetable casserole.
- 8 oz beef sirloin or beef tenderloin, sliced into strips
- 5-6 fresh or dried (soaked) shiitake mushrooms
- l/2 small Korean radish, cut lengthwise, approx. l/2x3”
- 8 oz of mung bean sprouts
- 2-3 stalks of green onion, chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced and cut lengthwise same as radish
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1-2 tbsp of clear soy sauce (guk ganjang)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 cups of anchovy/seaweed stock or clear beef broth
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp of pine nuts (optional)
- Slice the beef into thin strips and marinate using soy sauce, sesame oil, minced garlic, black pepper and sugar. Cut the shitake mushroom caps into thin pieces, and marinate with the same seasoning as beef. Set aside.
- Prep the vegetables -- cut the white radish into discs then lengthwise about 2", rinse the mung bean sprouts (removing any skins or bad sprouts), slice the yellow onion lengthwise and chop the green onion stalks (in half if the stalks are thick), then into 2" lengths.
- Mix the sliced beef and mushrooms with garlic and 1 tbsp of soy sauce, sesame oil and black pepper.
- In a large casserole pan (that you can serve the dish in), add the beef and mushrooms. Arrange the rest of the vegetables in sections on top.
- Add the soy sauce to the stock and taste. Pour the mixture into the casserole, bring to a boil, lower the heat then simmer for 5-10 minutes. Taste and add soy sauce, sugar and black pepper if needed.
- Before serving, break an egg into the middle of the casserole; just cook until the egg is half done - swirl it around to mix and then serve. Garnish with pine nuts if you like.
Serving Size: 4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes