Thai Omelette with Red Pepper Flakes and Soy Sauce
ไขเจยว ซีอิ๊ว Khai Jiao Saa Eeew
Learning how to make eggs is a rite of passage in Thai and Laotian cooking. It was one of the first dishes I learned how to make as a kid; and remains one of my favorite go to dishes for a quick meal. This recipe for Thai omelets with soy sauce and red pepper flakes is an original creation that started from a mistake. I was going to make the traditional Thai omelette with fish sauce, but accidentally grabbed the soy sauce bottle instead. Adding a hefty dash of pepper flakes highlights the saltiness of the soy sauce.
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, soy sauce and red pepper flakes.
- In a medium pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil on high heat. Wait until the oil is dancing around in the pan and almost smoking.
- Pour the egg mixture into the oil at a slowish rate, so that it’s a stream of egg hitting the hot oil.
- Cook until lightly browned. Flip and cook the other side until browned as well. About 1-2 minutes.
- Remove and serve over rice.
Serving Size: 2-3
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 10 minutes