Thai Pomelo Salad With Shrimp and Coconut
ยำส้มโอ Yum Som O
Yum som-o, alternately found as yam or even yaam som-o, is quite simply pomelo salad (som-o means "pomelo"). This recipe highlights the exquisite balance and art of Thai cooking: salty, sweet, spicy and savory. Thai Pomelo Salad with Toasted Coconut and Shrimp is a mélange of very traditional ingredients with innovative and clean flavors. It is typically served during the warm months, but I like to eat yum som-o year around. If you have a very well stocked Thai pantry, you can easily whip up this dish at a moment's notice.
- 3 tablespoons shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 tablespoon red chili flakes
- 2 cups pomleo or grapefruit slices
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 21-26 count)
- 3 cups water Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the shrimp are bright pink and the tails curl.
- 1/8 cup of mint leaves
- 1/8 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 cups of mixed greens
- 1 tablespoon fried shallots
- In a pan, toast the shredded coconut over medium high heat for 3 minutes. You want the coconut to be a deep golden brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Set aside.
- Peel and separate pomelo or grapefruit into segments. Remove the membranes. Seed. Gently flake the flesh apart into a bowl (make sure you have large chunks).
- In a medium bowl, mix the marinade: lime juice, fish sauce, palm sugar and red chili flakes. Gently mix in the pomelo or grapefruit slices.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the shrimp are bright pink and the tails curl. Drain.
- Add the shrimp, mint leaves and cilantro to the pomelo and marinade. Make sure that the shrimp and pomelo slices are deeply covered with the dressing.
- Arrange the mixed greens on a serving platter. Transfer the shrimp and pomelo mixture on top of the lettuce leaves.
- Garnish with the toasted coconut and fried shallots.
Serving Size: 4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes