Tom Yum Goong (Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup)
Our recipe for Tom Yum Goong (ต้มยำกุ้ง) is simple and delicious.
- 4 cups of water
- 4 two-inch pieces of lemongrass, bruised and smashed
- 3 one-inch slices fresh galangal root, smashed
- 3 fresh kaffir lime leave
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3/4 pound shrimps, de-veined
- 6 fresh phrik khi nu(พริกขี้หนู), or 1 small habanero, cut into ¼ inch strips (add more if desired)
- 1/2 small white onion, cut ¼ inch slices
- 2 tablespoon nam prik pao (or siracha sauce)
- 1 16 ounce can straw mushrooms, drained and rinsed
- 1 small ripe tomato, cut into wedges 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small lime, squeezed
- 2 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large stockpot, bring water, lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaf to a boil over high heat. As the water is boiling, add fish sauce and tamarind paste. Boil until tamarind paste is melted.
- Add the onion, nam prik pao, and straw mushrooms. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp. When the shrimp is nearly cooked add the chili peppers (phrik khi nu - พริกขี้หนู) and tomatoes. Turn off the heat.
- Drizzle in the lime juice. At this point, you may want to add more fish sauce or more nam prik pao.
- When you are ready to serve, ladle soup into a bowl and garnish with cilantro.
Serving Size: 4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes