Vegetarian Thai Pomelo Salad
ยำส้มโอ Yum Som O
- 3 tablespoons shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce sauce (Green Mountain brand)
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 tablespoon red chili flakes
- 2 cups pomelo or grapefruit slices
- 1 Asian pear, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/8 cup of mint leaves
- 1/8 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon fried shallots
- In a pan, toast the shredded coconut over medium high heat for 3 minutes. You want the coconut to be a deep golden brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Set aside.
- Peel and separate pomelo or grapefruit into segments. Remove the membranes. Seed. Gently flake the flesh apart into a bowl (make sure you have large chunks).
- In a medium bowl, mix the marinade: lime juice, soy sauce, palm sugar and red chili flakes. Gently mix in the pomelo or grapefruit slices.
- Add the Asian pear, mint leaves and cilantro to the pomelo and marinade.
- Garnish with the toasted coconut and fried shallots.
Serving Size: 4
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes