Vietnamese Vegetarian Spring Rolls
I feel like I've been eating too much easy to make but not so healthy food over the past week so decided that dinner tonight needs to be something easy but healthy so Vietnamese spring rolls are on the menu!
Now when I say these are easy to make, I mean they are easy to make. If you can boil a kettle and slice some veg then you're pretty much ready to go!
- Rice paper rolls
- Vermicelli noodles
- Fillings of your choice (all sliced into fine strips)
- - tofu (I used smoked tofu for added flavour)
- - cooked prawns
- - shredded duck
- - chicken strips
- - carrots
- - courgettes (zuccini)
- - chives
- - spring onion
- - cabbage
- - baby corn
- - spinach
- - coriander
- - peppers
- - snap peas
- - bean sprouts
- - letttuce
- The sheets you use to make the rolls need to be worked with quickly so I like to get all of my fillings ready. I've used carrots, courgette, baby corn, chives, snap peas, bok choy cabbage and tofu. I've listed ideas for fillings below in the "ingredients". It's fine to use raw ingredients but I lightly steamed most of mine - it's just personal preference. If you do steam your fillings, let them cool before making the spring rolls.
- Boil some water and soak the vermicelli noodles until soft then drain thoroughly.
- Fill a bowl with warm water and let the rice paper to soak for 2 seconds then drip dry and lay flat on a clean surface (I used a plate). The rice paper will continue to soften.
- The rice paper gets quite sticky so I found it helps to leave one side hanging over the edge of the plate so you can pick it up easily.
- Pick the fillings you want and lay them lengthways across the middle of the rice paper.
- Fold one side over tightly.
- And then roll as tightly but gently as you can.
- Serve with your favourite dipping sauce. I used some sweet chilli sauce with a little of soy sauce but a hoisin sauce would also be lovely as would my standard dipping sauce - soy sauce, sesame oil, diced ginger, mirin and a little vinegar.
Serving Size: 2
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes