Zucchini with Lentils and Roasted Garlic
This recipe is courtesy of CIA alum Chef Hari Nayak. Chef Nayak is an Indian cooking pioneer, restaurateur and chef. He is also the author of several books, including "Modern Indian Cooking" and the upcoming "My Indian Kitchen."
- 1 cup (175g) yellow mung lentils, rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- salt to taste
- 4 cups (1 liter) water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 small zucchinis cut into ¼ inch (6mm) slices
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Put the lentils into a large saucepan with turmeric, salt and water. Bring it to boil and skim well. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the lentils are cooked, about 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl. Cover the bowl and keep warm.
- In a medium sauce pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil, add the garlic and cook until golden brown and well roasted.
- Add the cumin seeds; they should sizzle upon contact with the hot oil. Quickly add the onions and zucchini & cook for 10 -15 minutes over medium heat.
Serving Size: 6
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes