Laotian Fried Chicken Wings
Whenever I go home for an extended visit, I always ask my mother to make Asian chicken wings, sticky rice and papaya salad. Her chicken wings are crispy on the outside and juicy in the center. It is a great complement to the meal playing off the spicy juiciness of the papaya salad and the sweetness of the sticky rice.
- 3 lbs chicken
- 4 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 4 tablespoons garlic, minced with a microplane
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Oil for deep frying
- MARINADE THE WINGS: Whisk together oyster sauce, garlic, black pepper in a large bowl. Generously coat the chicken wings in the bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour, ideally overnight.
- COOKING THE WINGS: In a deep fryer or high-sided skillet heat oil to 360 degrees F. Gently drop the chicken wings one by one into the fryer. (You will have to do this in batches to avoid overcrowding). The chicken wings will need to fry for 6 to 8 minutes, moving and turning pieces frequently with long tongs. Drain on paper towels. Repeat until you have cooked all the wings.
- Serve with papaya salad and sticky rice.
Serving Size: 4-6
Rate this Recipe:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes